Thursday, August 15, 2013

UPDATE ON FINE SCHEDULE



I would like to update you on the progress of the Fine Committee.  We thought we were making progress but, alas it ended up being a SHAM as the Board had no intention of looking at the feasibility of the fine schedule or looking at any other viable alternative to a fine schedule.

Why do I and many other committee members believe this?

When the committee was formed, its purpose was to look into the feasibility of a fine schedule for violations of our CC&Rs.  A chairperson was appointed by the Board president.  Even though the majority of the committee was made up of Board directors and/or ACC Violations Committee Members, and their agenda was already set, we still felt optimistic.   Silly us.  It was a setup from the beginning. 

At our first and second meetings we learned that most of the current violations are county ordinance issues and the consensus was to get the counties to enforce their ordinances.  The first step was to write a letter to the county supervisor asking for help in these matters. (Isn’t it time for us to see the county spend some of the tax money that we pay on our community?) The second step discussed was working on ways we, as a community, can help members who might be in violation rather than fining them.  The majority of the committee voted to do this.

By the 3rd meeting our chairperson had stepped down because he wasn’t willing to push the fine schedule and we suddenly had a new chairperson, one that was not voted in by the committee.  The agenda was now re-defined to fine-tune the Fine Schedule Resolution and submit it to the Board for a vote. That is not what we were told when we signed up.  We joined the committee to try to find an alternative to fining members who are in violation. 

At the last meeting the committee voted on sending fine schedule to the board for their decision.  Our committee had 3 husbands and wives all of who had been allowed to vote prior, but all of a sudden a board director said  it was illegal for both to vote and only one vote per couple. Which is not correct, the one vote per property only applies to our elections. Nothing like stacking the deck.

Now, all that is left to be done, is for the Board to vote whether or not to institute the fine schedule.  In order to stop this from being passed we all need to come to the September 14th Board Meeting at 10 a.m. and petition the board to let the members vote on this.

What I did learn from all of this is that the majority of the ACC/Violations Committee doesn’t really understand the CC&Rs.  And, they think they can pick and choose who is in violation and who to enforce the CC&R’s on.  I also learned that welcome packets (including your CC&R’s) have not been going out to new members for several years.  They have just reinstated this practice.   I was told by one member that if a member filed a complaint against another member, other than a direct neighbor, that the reporting Members’ property would be inspected for violations. So folks, you can already see how this fine schedule will be abused either intentionally or from lack of knowledge.

The next meeting of the board is Sept 14th  10 am and I expect the board will vote on this then.

I and many of my fellow Members believe that the entire membership should vote on whether they want a fine schedule, not a Board of 7 Members. We can stop this.   If you would like to sign a petition to do so, please contact me at 852-2220.

Vicki Keefe

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting us know what the hell is going on. Going to ugly fer sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a board member and have been reading the various comments. Although I cant personally speak for others (so I won't), I would like to preface this by saying that we need to stay away from the character assassination and generalization of what the board (as a whole) wants to do. I believe it is better to stay focused with the issue, without all the bullets and comments. Although I understand the frustration, It really is non-productive. I have talked to some of you and, believe it or not, I do understand. I see the side of why we DONT need/want a fine schedule...but I also understand the reasons why we may want one. Yes, I am on also the committee and have attended all the meetings. I too, went with the idea that we, as a community, were going to work on something that everyone agreed on. I also understand the concerns of the inconsistent methods of voting.. It is very apparent that there is a strong misconception as to what this committee was intended for. For that reason, my husband (as chairperson) stepped down. We could no longer support the issue, based on the situation at hand. However,and with that said, I am only asking that we stay focused and continue working through this in a productive way. I cant say how the vote is going to go..and I wish I could. However, this is not a perfect world and I dont have the perfect answers....but we can do the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you feel that way. I did not mention any one person by name, so no one’s character was assassinated. What I said was accurate and true of what I and others observed and heard at these committee meetings.

    I know you’re a new director and don’t expect you to know all the CCRs and laws that govern the Association, but there are several directors on this board that have each served several terms and they should know and abide by them.

    There was no strong misconception of the purpose of the committee. We were at the board meeting and are not stupid, we understand plain English.

    Why did we have 2 committee meetings where we all agreed that the fine schedule wasn’t the best option and then our chair stepped down because he was told to proceed with the fine schedule.

    It is my belief that unless the members come out in force that the board will vote in a fine schedule. I realize you feel you have to tote the board (party) line, but the reality is that you are there to represent ALL THE MEMBERS not just the board.

    Those of us committee members that weren’t directors and/or ACC members volunteered because we wanted to come up with a viable plan and we did, but were shut down.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki, my comment was not meant to be directed at you only...but was only meant as a general statement. There has been a lot of character assassination by many..and I was only attempting to express a belief that we should probably refrain from that. I was also not arguing the issue of the committee and why this or that happened. If you read that correctly, you would see that I was very sympathetic with the concerns that you all expressed.....stating that we (Cal and I) too had concerns and that is one reason why he chose to step down. I am very outspoken and I will be honest....and have taken bullets from both sides.... probably will again for my comments here. Just because I am a director, whether new or old, I speak as I feel, not as others may or may not want me to. The only problem being new is that a person is just getting their feet wet and learning the ifs and whats of everything, but it doesnt change my ability to reason and speak out, despite the flack I may get from either side. I dont have all the answers but I want to make sure I try to get them. Yes, good points were brought up ....and very good ones by your side as well. As a result, I have done a lot research into this issue. With that said,....I DON'T know why we had two meetings and then a sudden shift in gears (regarding the purpose of the meeting)...because, plain and simple, I didnt agree with that either. I have very openly expressed that view to others (and did so at the last meeting) ....stating that the meeting was inconsistent and infair. I dont know what about my comment makes you think we weren't supportive of that issue. I clearly stated that. Now, regarding the word, "misconception"....whether it was a misconception or an intentional intent to mislead, the point was that apparently everyone did not understand what the purpose of the committee was, including me. However, I certainly was not going to accuse anyone of purposely misleading everyone. I believe that, once it was discovered that people did not understand what the intent of the meeting was, the committee served no valid purpose. I feel we should have terminated the committee at that point. It no longer made sense to keep going. I get that, I really do! No, you are not stupid and I dont think any of you are....but I was only trying to help sooth things over so everyone can talk without all the emotions...thats all. Quite frankly, as a person who tries to be fair, you would be surprised what I have done, calls I have made, etc...in response to this issue and the committee. I understand a lot more than you think I do. I have read through the CC&Rs looking for key issues,etc, I have called the county, and re-thought the fine schedule. However, I have also been busy with my work....so I could not respond to your comment any sooner. As far as the fine schedule, I am not toting the board at all. I was merely attempting to be a little diplomatic about my comments. As stated above, I have my own beliefs and if I were toting the Board, I would not have spoken up at all. Yes, as the Board, we have to represent our community and that is what I am attempting to do....but sometimes we all need to step back and take a look at what someone is really attempting to say or do, without emotion, anger, etc. Sometimes, out of anger (I am guilty of that as well), we waste a lot of energy in things that can be resolved in other ways. With that said, I hope to see you at the board meeting.

    September 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Everyone, please dont forget to come to the meeting next Saturday,14th. We need to come together as a community and get these issues resolved.
    ______________________________________________
    "When you think you can't make a difference, remember that one raindrop raises the ocean" author unknown

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Everyone, thank you to those who attended the meeting on the 14th. It was great to see such a large group of people. I realize this is long overdue but I do get busy and work outside the home. However, I think it is time we all get together more and get to know each other on a different level. If there had been more time, it would have been fun to plan a Halloween event.....so, with that said, anyone for a New Years Event??

    ReplyDelete